Treatment For Osteoarthritis
Osteoarthritis is a non-inflammatory, degenerative condition of joints that occurs when flexible tissue at the ends of bones wears down.
Symptoms of osteoarthritis
- Pain : Joint pain during or after movement
- Tenderness : Feel tender on joint when apply light pressure to it
- Stiffness : Stiffness in joints when wake up in the morning or after a period of inactivity
- Loss of flexibility : Unable to move joint through its full range of motion
- Grating sensation : Can hear or feel a grating sensation when moving the joint.
- Bone spurs : Extra bits of bone form around the affected joint, which feel like hard lumps.
Types of osteoarthritis
- Primary Osteoarthritis : It is more common than secondary OA. It is common in elders where there is no previous pathalogy. It is mainly due to wear and tear changes occuring in old age mainly in weight bearing joints.
- Secondary Osteoarthritis : It is caused due to factors such as injury to the joint, previous infection, deformity, obesity, hyperthyroidism.
Treatment for osteoarthritis
- Conservative Treatment : It generally relieves pain by physical therapy/exercise, weight loss, drugs, braces/orthotics and intra articular corticosteroid
- Arthroscopy : It is mainly done for knee and shoulders. Removal of loose pieces of bone or cartilage and treatment of torn ligament or inflamed synovial membrane
- Osteotomy : It is mainly done for knee and hip. For people younger to do joint replacement, repositioning of bone by a wedge shape cut
- Joint Replacement : It is mainly done for people over 50 years of age. It is basically a reconstruction of joint
Dr. Biren Nadkarni, Senior Orthopaedic and Joint Replacement Surgeon, is available at Sitaram Bhartia Institute of Science and Research and at Holy Family Hospital, New Delhi.
Visit us :drbirennadkarni.com
Mail us : email@example.com
← Get Relief from Your Knee Joint Pain
Authored by DR. BIREN NADKARNI